Just spent some really fine days on Euclid Avenue; there's always a lot going on there, and always the prospect of people "going Vining" (quite serene visit, despite Arthur's appearance), but I decided to spend a little time pursuing some Vining documentation, and now I'm going to share it. Young Vining family, circa 70s:
If you know Ella and Margaret, chances are you're a little afraid of them; but look how sweet they were, once upon a time:
For some reason, there are a lot of framed school photographs of Maggie on Euclid Avenue. Mrs. Vining and Ella thought she looked quite unhappy about this tie choice (11th grade):
Below is also from high school, circa late 80s or so. I asked Maggie (in PDX working like a madwoman while we all cavort around the eastern lands), and she said, "my mother and grandmother were telling me to get my bangs out of my face
("no one can see your pretty face") and made me promise to do my bangs
curtain style."
The percentage of Vining children in framed photos is 80% DKV, 10% MAV, 10% cats, 0% Ella. Why is this? Well, for one thing, the sisters say that DKV has been in the habit of giving framed photos of himself as gifts to his parents. They're all very handsome, and all look quite similar. Here's an earlier, more candid shot, which I found in a drawer with some knives and nunchucks, etc.
At last, hidden away in the "baby room" with some broken puzzles, I located this lost piece of Ella's childhood. How cute is this? (Quite really cute.)
Some digging through various Vining documents, after everyone went to bed, uncovered this document, from AP History:
This was honestly really sharp work, and Ella's grade was well-deserved:
What an excellent family! I'm sure you've enjoyed this glimpse.






4 comments:
Pete, you are a treasure!
I agree! Keep doing what you're doing, Pete!
oh my lordy...
Yes, did enjoy. Really hit on some major info
Thanks from your extended family
Post a Comment